Chandraghanta Puja is a ritual performed on the third day of Navratri, a nine-day festival dedicated to the worship of Goddess Durga and her nine forms. Chandraghanta is the third form of Durga, who has a crescent moon (Chandra) on her forehead like a bell (Ghanta). She is depicted as a fierce warrior goddess with ten arms, holding various weapons and riding a lion. She symbolizes courage, strength, peace and prosperity.
Chandraghanta Puja is done to seek the blessings of Maa Chandraghanta for protection from enemies, obstacles and sins. She also grants wisdom, happiness and spiritual growth to her devotees. Chandraghanta Puja activates the Manipura Chakra or Solar Plexus Chakra in the body, which governs self-confidence, willpower and personal identity.
The following are the steps for performing Chandraghanta Puja:
- Cleanse and purify the puja area with Ganga Jal (holy water) or Gomutra (cow urine).
- Set up an idol or image of Maa Chandraghanta on a pedestal or altar. Decorate it with flowers, vermilion, turmeric and sandalwood paste.
- Light a lamp with ghee or oil and place it near the idol. Also light some incense sticks and offer them to Maa Chandraghanta.
- Invoke Maa Chandraghanta by chanting “Om Devi Chandraghantayai Namah” 108 times. You can also use a rosary or mala for counting.
- Offer jasmine flowers to Maa Chandraghanta as they are her favorite. You can also offer other fragrant flowers like marigold, rose or lotus.
- Offer bhog or prasad to Maa Chandraghanta. The bhog can consist of milk products like kheer (rice pudding), curd or paneer (cottage cheese). You can also offer fruits like banana, apple or coconut.
- Perform aarti or hymn singing to Maa Chandraghanta. You can use any devotional song dedicated to her or chant “Om Aim Hreem Kleem Chamundaye Vichche Namah” 21 times.
- Seek forgiveness from Maa Chandraghanta for any mistakes or sins committed knowingly or unknowingly. Ask for her grace and guidance in your life.
- Distribute the prasad among your family members and friends as a mark of sharing your joy and gratitude.
Chandraghanta Puja is a simple yet powerful way to connect with Maa Durga’s third aspect and experience her divine energy. By doing this puja with faith and devotion, you can overcome your fears and challenges and achieve success in all spheres of life.